South Asian Forum for Environment, SAFE envisages global reciprocal partnership and participatory policy frame for commons to promote wise use of natural resources through community governance and inclusive growth for sustainable environment development.
The organization was registered in 2004, under Trust Act of India 1861 and has been accredited by Ministry of Planning Government of India and Indian Central Social Welfare Board. It enjoys consultative status with ECOSOC, WANGO, GEF CSO Council, World Rural Forum and is a major stakeholder to UNEP being a bonafide member to the UN Environment Assembly (UNEA). Further, SAFE recently acclaimed the coveted 'Observer Organization' status with UNFCCC and Green Climate Fund. It is also a member to the scientific steering council of UNCCCD.
SAFE is proud to be networking partners with Asia Pacific Network for Global Change Research (APN-GCR), GEF-CSO, WANGO, and other international networking organizations like IAIA, IASCP, IAFFE etc. Its esteemed funding partners include UNEP, USAID, World Bank, NASA, DFID (UK), APN-GCR, IWMI, ICIMOD, British Ecological Society, Korea Green Foundation, Japan Water Forum, and Earthwatch Institute
1. Governing Council Member: UNEP-UNEA
2. Consultative status with ECOSOC in UN
3. Observer organization with UNFCCC
4. Observer organization with Green Climate Fund
5. Member GEF-CSO, World Bank
6. CSO Member to UNDP & UN-Women
7. Member, central Social Welfare Board, India
8. Member, National Disaster Council of India
9. Member, National Council for Climate Change & SED
10. Member, World Association of NGO's (WANGO)
11. Member, World Water Council, World Rural Forum
12. Networking Member, GEF-CSO, APN-GCR & Earth Day Network International
13. Member, Gender CC, Women for Climate Justice